Wednesday, 29 July 2009

Chickens!

So we're getting chickens, and I am really rather excited about it. We've ordered an eglu cube and run and its being delievered on the 11th. We are going to get three initially, ideally a raod rock, a calder ranger and a light sussex. They are coming from a lovely free range place in Lanarkshire that we have already visited. Its a small family-run farm and all the birds look very happy. Since we'll have them free ranging during the day here it was important to me that they have experienced it already, as I wouldn't want them cooped up too long in order to get used it more space.

So fingers crossed in a few weeks we'll be all good to go. Watch this space!

4 comments:

  1. Oh - really excited for you!! We love ours - James has named them all Pizza for some reason - fine by us. We have had a couple of light sussex hens before Fiona and Blanche - great layers and so clever. Endless entertainment. Wondered if it was the same place at Deanbank Quothquhan where we gor ours?
    thanks for your message - still pondering...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh where is Deanbank Quothquhan? Haven't heard of it. Its Feufield Freerange farm we went to. Pizza is a good name for no matter how many hens :-)
    I shall pm you our number so if you come out to see the house again you can pop in for a cuppa if you fancy?

    Uma x

    ReplyDelete
  3. An eglu cube, wow, you can have a decent flock of hens in that! I love our eglu, it's so easy to clean, and the hens, well, I love them. Sophie now tries to click her fingers at them like I do. Oakley will love them too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we're so lucky getting a cube-my father in law has given us some money as a belated birthday present so we went for the cube instead of the normal eglu as it looked so much more spacious. We're still starting with 3 but we'll see what happens. Bit disappointed though as the date its going to be delivered has been delayed a week....so eglu on the 20th chickens on the 22nd I hope!!
    Uma x

    ReplyDelete