Wednesday, 14 January 2009

In the majority for once!

Baby massage went really well yesterday. Managed to time it ok so that Oakley wasn't *too* sleepy beforehand, although he wanted a long nap afterwards. There were meant to be 6 of us in total but only 3 of us turned up, O and two other little girls. O was the eldest at 14 weeks then there was one who was 12 weeks and then 10 weeks. The difference was amazing though-O was rolling around the place looking at everyone in turn and chatting and smiling away at them all, whereas the other littlies only concentrated on their mums. A large part of me felt so very proud, and I do think its a lot to do with attatchment parenting. O is so confident and relaxed due to knowing I am always there that he can explore everything else without worrying, and in complete safety. Was so good to see the evidence with this.

One of the other ladies was using cloth nappies too!! And breastfeeding!! For the area that we live in this is very very unusual, so I was so happy that in that room, for once, we were the majority.

O loved being massaged, but then he is quite used to it now as I already massage him regularly. In fact, whenever I'm touching him I tend to be massaging his feet, or whatever part of him I'm touching. The other babies seemed very content too till the end when they both started crying. O just sat and watched them wondering what was going on. And I must say when one of the ladies left her crying baby on the floor to leave the room to get her pram I just wanted to rush over and give the little one a cuddle.....must watch that new reflex of mine!
I think I drew a bit of attention to myself though.....the health visitor brought olive oil with her (which I was pleased to see and she did say to always use plant oils and that baby oils weren't very good), but I brough my own cold pressed organic oil, as although I do reliase this makes me seem like a rediculous snob, I don't want anything that isn't organic on his skin just now-and I wasn't about to just go along with it for fear of offending (although I'm so bad at talking out about things I don't like happening to O or the way people are with him.....note to self must become more assertive!). So I made up a speil that there were different oils in mine for his dry skin. He doesn't have dry skin, but all the same I avoided using some cheap oil on him, although everyone else probably thought I was mad...ho hum!

Managed to get a bit more sleep last night to-by that I mean he went for one stretch of 3 hours, but it made all the difference :-)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like it went really well! Good on you for taking your own oil, it CAN be awkward can't it? I alternate between white lies and just telling it like it is.

    Over from GP forum :)

    ReplyDelete