Thursday, 9 December 2010

All of those things

I have been reflecting on my struggle with things today. For example, using the TV too much for Oaks when I really want to get that washing hung up *without* him phoning someone on the phone, or when I really need to get dinner made without helpful hands trying to throw lots of things into the pot (and almost getting burnt....).

But you know, it does have its place. I had TV as a child, admittedly, I think, too much at some points but I still managed to turn into a creative and compassionate person who would rather watch the birds, the fire or read a book than watch TV. But at the same time there are some programmes I enjoy-and not even the ones you might think-I Love the X-Factor, however unpopular it might be to admit it. And I am an eco-conscious individual, a vegan, and try to be very mindful.

Isn't it all then about balance? I did have a period in my life where I never had a TV for years and it was great. But it did seem to cut me off from people. In my work now I work in the community with mothers providing support for them with breastfeeding. Now, I have dreadlocks, I am a Buddhist and I bring my child up in a gentle, mostly unconditional way. This is unusual enough in these neck of the woods, so remove any idea about popular television and what am I left to chat about with the mums?

So as much as its about balance for me, it is the same for Oakley. I don't just let him watch anything, but appropriate things, I feel, are alright. And he enjoys them and engages with them. And today it helped me tire him out without having to dance him in the sling (which I had to do yesterday and my back knows about it today!!) before his nap. And since outside is too cold for him apparently (he screamed how cold his hands were when I was doing the ponies and chickens and would not leave his gloves on!), and my car is still away in the garage, and he gets bored easily with whatever activity he is doing, today TV you have been my saviour.

Hopefully I will post more soon, I am hoping to borrow my dads camera until I can get one of my own so I hope to share a bit more of our lives soon.

Warm blessings to all who are still reading!

Uma x

1 comment:

  1. We are still Reading. Good to hear how you are doing. :)
    Laura (Mamoo on gp forum) xx

    ReplyDelete